Kolot Chayeinu, a progressive independent congregation in Brooklyn, is seeking a Teen Coordinator for our youth ages 14-18. We are seeking a dynamic educator and/or organizer with strong interpersonal, written, and social network communication skills who is enthusiastic about working directly with teens.
Kolot Chayeinu built up our teen program in the past few years and this year launched the Kolot Teen Leadership Program, through which teens practice anti-oppression and organizing work. The Teen Coordinator will be expected to continue and grow this program, meeting the hopes and desires of the youth of Kolot.
This position is part-time, 20-25 hours a month, from September through June.
The Coordinator will be supervised by the Director of Learning and Action.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Recruiting teens from Kolot membership by building personal relationships and working with teens to design and lead programming that excites them.
- Working with teens, staff and clergy to organize and implement a Youth Culture Shabbat featuring the participation and leadership of Kolot's teen community.
- Being a mentor, ally, and supportive presence for teens in the program, and helping engender an environment of mutual support, respect, trust and participation.
- Coordinating with Kolot leaders and teen leadership of other local synagogues to organize and promote communal gatherings and events for teens as well as synagogue leadership opportunities for interested teens.
- Planning and/or facilitating workshops on issues around social justice and Jewish identity.
- Supporting Kolot teens interested in participating in actions and protests.
- Managing internal teen directory and creating and managing googlegroup or private facebook group for notification of upcoming events and general information share about relevant programs, grants and opportunities.
- Representing Kolot at wider Jewish communal teen educator gatherings.
Interested parties, please email your resume, cover letter, and two references immediately to Franny Silverman, Director of Learning and Action, at firstname.lastname@example.org.